Saturday, December 08, 2007

Trippin on cough meds

The cold/flu has invaded the Crutchfield household. Larry had it first and he seems to have recovered at this point. But last weekend I got a sore throat and cough. For the first few days, I felt really good except for a sore throat and laryngitis. Mostly it was problematic at night when the cough would continually wake me and Odessa up. I played musical beds switching between the couch and my bed and back again.

Then I got worse...I don't know what happened. Suddenly I just felt like total crap all the time. Pressure in the head, sore throat, sore chest from coughing, the works. I bought an over the counter cough medicine at Target. Nothing spectacular. I took it that night and it seemed to help a little, maybe.

The end of this boring story is coming up. So today we went out for breakfast (our weekend routine) and back home for a nice, long nap. When I woke, I decided to run some errands with Odessa. So I took some of my over-the-counter cough med having not eaten lunch. I really didn't think anything of it. Then the Alice In Wonderland tripping began... Dizziness, out-of-body sensation, feeling as though I can't process incoming information and as if my mind is three steps behind my body, weird dream-like feeling, unable to see clearly or process what I was seeing. I felt kind of drunk but without being relaxed. Instead I felt panicked and scared and worried that I was lapsing into a psychosis. You read about that. One day a happy person and wife and mom, and then next she is seeing mice running through the walls locked up in a padded room. So feeling as though I may be on the brink of a psychotic break, I am trying to think of what I should tell my husband that I won't be able to tell him later? But my thinking is so cloudy and roller-coaster like that I can't even think of what I should say. Panic.

Awful scary not fun. Phew I think it is almost over. But if not, at least I wrote it down and people may be able to piece together what happened before I totally lost it. That is, if anyone reads this which I know that my family is terrible about doing. When I was a kid, I couldn't get them to read my weekly publication the "Donesley Chronicle" so it really is no surprise.

No comments: