Saturday, February 09, 2008

Playschool: Day Two

Day Two went great as well! I had a lot of anxiety that Day One was just a crazy fluke and that Odessa would be dragging on the floor holding onto my leg as I limped for the door. She did cry when I left. But, she does that when I leave her with Grandma or Daddy too. So, of course, I walk out and hide from view to listen. She cried, literally, for less than a minute. It is just like they say in all the damn books.

So I go to work. Larry picks her up four hours later (right before nap-time). He said she looked like she was having fun, just running around with the other babes. When she spotted him, she ran up to him smiling and that made him feel really good.

Larry took O to his office where I met them to pick her up and go home. She was sitting on his lap, helping with some computer related tasks. Of course, I asked Larry what the teachers said about how the day went, but he just didn't have enough elaboration so I called the school myself. The teachers said that she did really well, no tears, but seemed to be teething quite a bit (yeah, tell me about it). And that she made them all laugh because whenever one of the other kids would laugh, she would do her "fake" laugh which sounds SO not natural and she throws her head back for full effect.

So, all is good. Except for the fact that leaving her at play-school takes up most of my income. Which I am still working on how to justify but will consist of examples such as: the decreased earning power of women who "broke" from the workforce to care for their kids, my sanity which is greatly helped by going to work, and the importance for me to meet some of my non-mama related needs (that last one could also work as an excuse for hiring a prostitute, except maybe the "mama" part).

On another front, my mom has spoken to me in days despite my attempts at reconciliation. I think that she really believes that I did this to punish her, when in fact, it has nothing to do with her. It is all about Me. My mom would respond that I think everything is about me. And, actually, if I think about it, how else can one view the world but from the perspective of how everything else effects them?

No comments: