Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Reassurance

This is an article from kellymom.com that I have read more than once. And I should put it on my "to-do" list at least once every couple weeks. I spend so much time worrying and stressing and second guessing and listening to other's opinions when what I really need to do is just BE.

Are you feeling overwhelmed by your child's intense needs?

But how much intense parenting they need, possibly including frequent nursing, in the second year depends for the most part on their inborn timetable for emotional development. As parents we can slow down emotional growth by leaving needs unmet. But there is nothing extra we can do to speed it up. ...your investment in your toddler who seems to be 'always attached' will pay off when the time for independence does come. -- Norma Jane Bumgarner in "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler"

Older babies and toddlers can get really clingy at times. Sometimes it seems as if your child has been nursing all day (or all night), or has been clinging to your leg all day long (even when you go to the bathroom) and you really just need a break.

These "velcro days" usually have a cause (even if we only know after the fact): teething, illness, a developmental advance. But even when you know the reason behind a clingy episode, it can still be very frustrating, particularly if you had something you expected to get done or if you were simply anticipating some time to yourself.

Do know that each of us gets overwhelmed from time to time. Remember - these moments pass, even though it may seem like forever when you're in the middle of one of these days.

I've gathered a few tips for dealing with these "velcro" days, but I'd like to get your suggestions and experiences, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were blogging her again!

Kellymom is one of my favorite sites *ever*. I know a mom online who was in Kelly's LLL group. I felt so close to celebrity! ;-)

Ariana